Saturday, February 15, 2014

Living on Fresh air part 2

To save having to scroll down a long way I have decided to do a second page for this topic.

I've had a few days out of action again with the back but the cooking budget goes on. I have now spent £88.61 in February on food for my wife and I but that includes £22.14 on some whoopsie / yellow label meat. I got 2 joints of topside beef weighing 6.5 kg, 5kg of shoulder of pork, 3 pork chops, 10 chicken drumsticks and a pork pie for that money. I was well chuffed and am now finding out the different times the staff mark down the goods. In Asda Hartlepool it used to be 09.30hrs, 15.30hrs, 21.30hrs and 23,30 hrs for all departments and after the likes of Matin of Money saving expert fame mentioned these times to the masses everyone started shopping at these times so people like me who have to use these yellow labels to live kept losing out on the deals.

Asda also started losing out on sales as many, many people stopped shopping at other times. Now one might say that the people are greedy but it could also be  said that the government cuts are far to severe or Asda's prices are too high.  I don't know the answer but cultivating the staff with a thank you and a smile still works wonders.

Out of the beef I got 5 joints of beef for pot roasts, 2 kg of mince and about 1.8 kg of steak cut into 6 slices. The pork shoulder I cut in 2 bits, 2kg and 3 kg and had a sunday roast with the first and made 6 kg of sausages out of the 3 kg bit. This was about 78% meat and were pork and apple, cumberland, lincolnshire and 4 links of pork and beef with a bit of the beef mince.

The chops were used in 2 meals and the chicken was used in 7 meals, mainly stew type meals that can be bulked out with other "stuff" such as oats and veg to make them go further.

A;though the budget is up at £88 I have enough meat left for this month and a good couple of weeks next month and a few veg left.
I'm still making bread and whilst on this restricted budget I have lost 17 pounds in weight since the 1st of Feb and 11 cm on the circumfrence of my stomach.

I've not been that hungry as time has gone on but the first week was sheer purgatory. I'm not a vengful person by any means but I truly hope with all my heart David Cameron and his cronies get booted at the general elections next year. I know Labour will carry on a lot of the same "Economic restructuring policies" but it has to get better. I also hope with all my heart that the tories don't win a majority because if they do then the Thatcher years in the 80's will be like living in the land of milk and honey compared to what this lot will do given the chance.

No comments: