Thursday, May 6, 2010

Judgement day

So the election in the UK is here, now, today...... For the first time in eons if not ever the whole house is voting Librel Democrat. There is nothing surprising in the fact that we vote, I make sure we both go to the polling station and even if my wife votes different to me, spoils her ballot paper or votes for all of the candidates then we will have voted because I feel that it is our duty and not a right to vote because people died to give all of us the option of democracy. Of course many, many people have died in the wars to ensure our vote and democracy takes place on a daily occurance but don't forget that women died in the suffrajet movement to get women the vote.

Wether we feel that democracy is taking place is another thing. If you were a believer in the Iraq anti war movement when Tony Blair [allegedly] took our forces to war in support of oil and George bush then you probably think that democricy is not working but thinking of Iraq as an example they always had a 99.9% turnout for elections when Saddam Hussain was up for election....... oh, that's right he was the only candidate in the elections wasn't he....

I hope the election proves to be a turning point in the UK political system and we do get a situation where no one party "wins". The tories and labour parties call it a "hung" election where hanging is bad whilst the Libral Democrats call it a "ballanced election" but whatever it is called it will make politiciens sit up and think.... at least the optimist in me likes to think so, lol.

I know for one thing and that is I'll be sitting up all night to hear the results, soething I've never done before....... ever.

No comments: