Friday, October 31, 2008

Burglars

We went away for a few days over to Cumbria so we could have some R&R and also take in the HUFC match against Carlisle ( 1-0 to pools) but whilst there we got a phone call from a neighbour telling us that our house alarm had gone off. We came home a day early only to find that the scroats had tried to jemmy out the patio window but the security devices had held well. The galling part was that my neighbour telephoned the police and they refused to attend the alarm and asked her to check to see if anything was wrong. Like asking a middle aged woman to confront a ( probably drugged up ) burglar on her own. Cleveland police are the shits........ The green edge on this episode is that the burglar left a good quality garden fork as he legged it, obviously from a previous burglary but hell, I can use a good garden fork especially if I confront a burglar.....

We went by car to the lakes as we had a dog and two suitcases but it got me thinking that back in the 60's we also had a dog and cases when we went on holiday but we didn't have a car. The journey would take about 6 hours to get to the lakes by train but we managed it. Now I wonder how long it would take and if we could be bothered as the car is the easier option.

I want to get rid of the car but my wife points out the need for a car as I'm well disabled. Now if only I can find a solar powered granny scooter and a train time table........hmmmmm.....

No comments: