Monday, December 15, 2008

Recipies

To become more self sufficient and as a way of providing for my family I need to be able to cook, clean and turn my hand to most things in order to cut down on the cost of employing someone to do the tasks for me. sometimes the tasks are too difficult or dangerous for me but one thing I can do well is cook. Here are a few of my recipies that I use and also links to other sites that have good advice and recipies on.
These recipies are offered here only as a guideline. You should make sure for your self that all necessary food hygiene practises are followed, you are not allergic to any of the ingredients or practices and you make yourself happy to follow these guidlines.
Basically this disclaimer means if you get the squits don't blame me.....

This page will be constantly updated as my blog progresses.

Bread.
the recipe is as follows,

1.5kg of strong white flour
1oz of fresh yeast
450ml of tepid water at around 100 deg f
2 tsp salt
1tsp sugar.
2 vit C tablets in the water

Method
Put the vit c tablets and yeast in the water and leave to ferment / bubble
Put the dry ingredients in the bowl and make a well in the middle.
Pour in the water mixture and mix it all together.
Turn out onto a floured worktop and knead for 10 - 15 minutes. Leave covered until it doubles in size. Knock it back or knead it again for another 5 minutes then put in a bowl and cover with clingfilm. Put in fridge for up to 24 hours.

Take out and let it return to room temperature for about 2 hours, less if put in an airing cupboard etc.

Knock back again when at room temp and cut into either buns or into pieces that weigh around 800g. Put into tins and cover with a tea towel to rise. When risen bake in a hot oven about gas mark 7 ( 6 for fan assisted) for 35 - 40 minutes. Should sound hollow when knocked on bottom of bread.

No comments: